The crux of White argument is “..It is the majority opinion of all scholars, all historians, both believers and unbelievers – that Jesus of Nazareth was crucified and killed but the 40 words in the Quran denies this, thus the the Quran is wrong.
White seems confusing himself with the muslim view of Jesus “crucifixion” with the death of Jesus (p).
1. There is no historical evidence that Jesus of Nazareth was crucified *to death* by the instigation of the Jewish leadership under the Roman governor, Pontius Pilate, around 30 AD. What is our proof of an ‘historical’ event of Jesus died on the cross?
2. Sami made a good point when he says in the debate that the fact that the historical event that people believe Jesus was crucified confirms the Quran in 4:157 that people assume it was Jesus.
3. Yes, the majority opinion of all scholars, all historians, both believers and unbelievers thinks that Jesus of Nazareth lived and existed and that the crucifixion happened but they thinks that Jesus (p) was a real person: an itinerant apocalyptic preacher who wasn’t divine and the majority of them too question the Resurrection of Jesus.
The Quran addresses that Jesus will dies in some manner like everybody else but it does not say Jesus died by crucifixion ie he was crucified?
وَالسَّلَامُ عَلَيَّ يَوْمَ وُلِدتُّ وَيَوْمَ أَمُوتُ وَيَوْمَ أُبْعَثُ حَيًّا
wal-salāmu ʿalayya yawma wulidttu wayawma amūtu wayawma ub’ʿathu ḥayyan
“And peace is on me the day I was born and the day I will die and the day I am raised alive.”
The verb “amūtu” 1st person singular imperfect present coninuous form fi’il madhi’ فعل مضارع
Similar Verse is 19:15 , mentioning about prophet John the Baptist.
Regarding Jesus (p) death, there are several opinion among muslims scholars based on highly ambiguous verse Q 4:157 :
1) That Jesus did not die on a cross but that God made someone else look like Jesus. Then God miracolously took Jesus body and soul into the heavens.
2) That Jesus actually survived the cross and lived like the other men (Gistas & Dismas) crucifed alongside with him (some historian record this man survived the cross)
3) a few even goes further thas Jesus (p) ‘died’ but as the Qur’an says do not think that those who are killed in the way of God they are dead, they are alive but they perceive it not like in 1 Corinthians 15:31. “I die every day”.
Whichever the opinions we Muslims does not think too much on the detail surrounding how Jesus died or will die but unanimous that he will just needs to die in some way but not that Jesus be crucified and ressurected and Jesus (p) will come back to earth again to fight the army of Satan and break the pagan symbol cross in the end of time.